Monday, October 25, 2010

Running and Physics

I haven’t written in so long, and there really is no excuse. I haven’t been too busy, or sick, just plain lazy. These last two weeks have been interesting, to say the least.

My foot has acted up with some serious pain when I hit mile seven on my long runs. Thus, I gave up the goal of running the ½ portion of the Lausanne Marathon. (www.lausanne-marathon.ch). I am going to be running the ¼ portion of said marathon; this is 10k or 6.2 miles. (Actually, it may be a bit longer than 6.2 miles, but not much.) My last 10k was this past Sunday, in the horrible, freezing rain. I ran a little slower than usual, and I am going to blame my soaking sweat pants. Sweats are not good for running in the rain; they stay wet, cold and heavy. This Sunday promises to be the same, so a good friend of mine offered to loan me a pair of her running tights. I just hope they’re warm enough; I’m a wimp when it comes to cold weather running!

On a lighter note, I enjoyed spending some time with my oldest, #1. We were waiting for #4 to finish with Netball and had a few moments to talk. Well, actually she had started ranting and raving when I picked her up from school. By the time we got to the lower school, she was done ranting and raving and moved on to discuss her favorite subjects in school. (She takes many classes at her school.) Turns out, she loves English, History and Physics. (Physics?!) She has to write an essay about how World War II began; she has a lot of information in her brain. I couldn’t begin to tell you all the things she knows about the events leading up to WWII, I was duly impressed. She is one smart cookie. And physics wow. For her, it is fun because she figures out things about the world around her. According to #1, Star Wars uses a lot of physics.

What a conversation!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful to hear about your daughter. Physics can be so much fun. Encourage her as we need women physics majors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe child number one is going to be a scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your number one and my number one can be so alike at at times. Nice to see you back on here!

    ReplyDelete